Hi, I’m Jimmy the ginger and white polydactyl cat with ridiculously cute thumbs and a confident paw shake. We haven’t shared a Caturday Voodle (our videos with voice-over) in a while but today I will share a video that will make you examine your relationship with your human more closely and show you how to get the attention you deserve.
There is no mistaking that us cats are well known for wanting things on our own terms. What’s wrong with that, you say? Nothing! But we do get a bad rap for it because cats are always perceived as only capable of being nice for opportunistic gain such as wanting treats or to be fed breakfast at 4 am. That is the furthest thing from the truth, I smell fake news!
But this idea continues to spread with memes on the interwebs that refer to cats as jerks for doing the things we do. But have you ever thought that it’s not your fault for being you and that the humans need to think long and hard about what it means to be a cat? If you turn the tables, you could say that the humans are being jerks for misunderstanding you. But since we don’t speak their language, we need to show them in other subtle and not-subtle ways about our heart’s desires and daily petting requirements. Since you cannot tell your human to “rub my belly in exactly this spot but only three times please” you have to train them. Otherwise, they just end up rubbing your belly the wrong way.
Here are 5 ways to ensure you get the attention you crave
- Always walk right in front of your human while they’re walking, especially when descending a flight of stairs. They’re more likely to slow down to avoid tripping over you. Now is your opportunity, look up with wide eyes to catch their gaze and they normally can’t resist petting you after their initial disgruntlement.
- Make a batch of biscuits…..anywhere. It doesn’t have to be on your favorite soft blankie. The weirder the location, the cuter you will look. Think out of the box, or rather, in it! Make biscuits in a box, on your cardboard scratcher, fresh laundry, or my favorite….make air biscuits. Humans literally go “squeeee!” for this!
- Humans communicate through sound so humor them. Forget meowing, because sometimes this can come off as being too whiny and demanding. Remember we’re going with subtle and endearing here. If your vocal repertoire includes chirrups, coos burbles or trills, use it! Mr. Jack my pal is one smart kitty and he has used his cooing and trills to get attention. It’s guaranteed to get you some chin tickles.
- If you really want to hypnotize your human, purr therapy hypnosis is another surefire way of getting attention. Bonus points if you have a roaring rumble of a purr like I do. Humans are fascinated by our ability to purr and I have heard the lady cat say that she has purr envy.
- If you really need a show stopper, I recommend the ultimate attention grabber that cannot go unnoticed. Stand up on your hind legs and beg. Yes, it never hurts to ask directly for what you want. So use the balance and dexterity that you were born with, stand like a squirrel, wave your paws in the air and beg for attention.
In my video below there is no voice-over because I wanted to demonstrate my multi-layered purr, so volume up! I begged for attention and not ashamed to admit it. I didn’t want food, I didn’t need snacks, I just wanted a few chin tickles and some human bonding. Where’s the meme about that?! There is nothing better than knowing you’re paying it forward with much-needed purr therapy for your human. It’s really a give-give relationship from both sides, don’t you agree?
How do you ask for cuddles? Are you subtle, bold or do you just beg? Right, now let me go back to snoozing in my box, I have to get up at 4 am to wake the humans for breakfast. Just kidding!